The first case of “brain-eating amoeba,” also known as “Naegleria fowleri,” was reported by the South Korean Ministry of Health.
It should be noted that a South Korean person in his fifties died recently after returning from North America, according to the Ministry of Health.
The endemic Naegleria fowleri can be found in freshwater ponds, lakes, rivers, and canals all throughout the world. The amoeba is inhaled through the nose, where it damages the tissues.
Despite saying that there is a little probability of the disease spreading from one person to another, the ministry encouraged locals to avoid swimming in areas where the disease has spread.
The first amoeba case was reported in the United States in 1937, and this is the first infection to be reported in South Korea.
There’s 381 cases of the brain-eating amoeba were reported worldwide, including in Thailand, India, and the United States.